You are here

Home » Our Parish

Archdiocese & Deanery

Archdiocese of Melbourne

The Archdiocese of Melbourne is the biggest diocese in Australia with 234 parishes.  The diocese consists of all of the Melbourne metropolitan area, plus the Geelong Region and country parishes to the north and west of Melbourne.  Our neighbouring parishes of Narre Warren, Berwick and Cranbourne belong to the Diocese of Sale.  The Cathedral of the Archdiocese is St Patrick’s Cathedral in East Melbourne. This is the church of the Archbishop.

The Diocese was established in 1848 with Bishop James Gould as the first Bishop. Archbishop Denis Hart is the eighth Archbishop of Melbourne.

We belong to the Southern Region of the Archdiocese.  We have Bishop Christopher Prowse as our Regional Bishop. 

Diocesan Website:     www.melbourne.catholic.org.au

Dandenong Deanery

Background

The Dandenong Deanery was established in 1987 by Archbishop Frank Little with the hope that member parishes would:

  • establish co-operative goals and work together co-operatively,
  • provide pastoral care for the people of the Deanery
  • provide formation for pastoral ministers,
  • work together on projects that are too big for individual parishes.

The Deanery was asked to establish a vision for their pastoral area, to articulate their own commitment to an appropriate structure, and set long term goals and short term objectives for their common future.

Member Parishes

The Dandenong Deanery consists of 11 parishes, many of whom were once part of the country parish of St Mary’s Dandenong, a parish established in 1883.  We are a highly multicultural Deanery, living together with people of many other faith traditions.

  • Dandenong (1883) – St Mary’s.
  • Dandenong North (1956)- St Gerard’s.
  • Dingley  - St Mark’s
  • Doveton (1962) - Holy Family.
  • Endeavour Hills (1980) – St Paul Apostle
  • Hampton Park (1990) – St Kevin’s
  • Keysborough (1974) – Resurrection.
  • Noble Park (1956) – St Anthony’s.
  • Noble Park North (1977) - St Elizabeth’s.
  • Springvale (1939) – St Joseph’s
  • Springvale North (1964) – St John Vianney.

Accomplishments

The Dandenong Deanery has accomplished the following:

  • Cyrene Centre at Noble Park: a place for support for families living with drug and alcohol issues.  Its in Douglas St, Noble Park (9574 6355)
  • Wellsprings for Women at Dandenong:  a support place for women of all faith traditions established by the Presentation Sisters (9701 3740)
  • Priests Network:  the priests gather for lunch on Fridays, with each presbytery sharing the hospitality.  This is an opportunity for networking.
  • Deanery Pastoral Council:  A forum for formation and sharing of our resources and wisdom.
  • Dinners:  Each term we hold a breakfast or dinner with a guest speaker.

Deanery Leadership Team

The Leadership Team consists of Fr Brian Collins (Keysborough), Fr Tony Feeney (Noble Park), Mr Peter Suhr (Keysborough) & Ms Vicki Russell (Keysborough).  The Office is at Keysborough Parish.